May 11, 2017

Day 2765 - The Lovin Life Linky - The Big Heart Edition

Today I invite you to give your 5 cents worth.


There are winners in this world and there are whiners.

The whiners use their energy to complain about the problems in life where as the winners step up and bloody well do something about it.


Last night I attended the Big Heart Project in Canberra.  It's part of Connie Johnson's last fund raising hurrah for cancer as she bows out of the public eye to live her final days in peace with her family.

To date Connie and her Gold Logie winning brother Samuel, have already raised over $4 million for cancer research.  There ultimate aim is $10 million.

The aim of the Big Heart Project yesterday was to fill a heart 100 metres in circumference with 5 cent pieces to the total of $1 million to add to their fundraising efforts.  If they do this it won't just raise much needed cash to kick cancer's arse, but will also be a world record.

Well, they smashed it.  By the time I'd left the Lyneham Netball Centre at 6.30pm last night the Big Heart was already worth $1.6 million.

This is what $50 worth of 5 cent pieces looks like

Pouring more love into an already full heart

Shining bright this is the tip end of the very Big Heart

The moment I walked into the event I could feel the love.  Surrounded by hundreds of people I couldn't help but tear up as I exchanged my money for 5 cent pieces to add to the pile.

No doubt the Johnson family is feeling a mix of love, happiness, pride and a huge amount of sadness right now.  After years of battling the disease Connie stopped all treatment earlier this year after she received the bad news that the cancer was too advanced to continue the fight.

But Connie is not a whiner.  While the cancer may be cutting her life short she hasn't let it win.  As she says in the "thank you" note we received on leaving last night:

"As I look at this heart growing I realise that we are well on the way, and that this fight will continue long after I'm gone.  One day, maybe next generation, maybe the the one after, our families won't have to live and die with cancer in their lives.  You have given me the peace to relax, step back and enjoy the rest of my days with my family, knowing that this amazing village will continue to fight." 

Connie and Samuel soaking up the love
We all have challenges to fight. Some are bigger than others. We've had an absolute shit year so far if the truth be known.  It's been riddled with challenges and it's almost brought me unstuck. But we can choose to be whiners and complain about it, or we can be winners and turn the challenges into an opportunity for growth. We can make a decision to kick some butt.

Today I'm lovin' that Connie and Samuel are achieving their fundraising goals.

I'm lovin' that so many people stepped up yesterday and attended their event.

I'm lovin' that I got to share in just a little snippet of their journey.

But most of all, I'm lovin' that they're doing what they're doing to help kick cancer's butt.


What are you lovin' about life this week?

Have you been following Connie's journey?

Are you ready to kick some butt?


If you would like to contribute to the Big Heart project you can do so here.

To join the Love Your Sister Village click here.

To follow Connie's blog click here.

To buy Connie and Samuel's book "Love Your Sister" click here. Every sale contributes to cancer research.

Don't forget to check your breasts regularly to get know your breasts.  If you notice any changes see your doctor ASAP.

*   *   *   *   *
Without further ado, it's time for the Lovin' Life Linky.

The Lovin' Life Linky is brought to you by Team Lovin' Life: Deep Fried Fruit, Seize the Day Project, Write of the MiddleAnd Anyways50 Shades of Age and Lifestyle Fifty #teamlovinlife






Related Posts

Day 2765 - The Lovin Life Linky - The Big Heart Edition
4/ 5
Oleh