Apr 14, 2017

Day 2738 - How to save calories with your fish and chips

Are you having fish for your Good Friday?


For those Catholics out there, today's the day we ditch the red meat.  Given we're at the coast, it makes it easy for us to grab some fish n chips wrapped in paper to eat on the beach.

I'm very much looking forward to it, but what does that do for my overall weight loss goals?

Let's take a look shall we.



According to nutritionist Amanda Ursell (Woman's Day Magazine, April 3 2017), the chips alone can have an incredible 4000 kj per serving.  That's close to a thousand calories!

When it comes to the battered deep fried fish, she suggests that the batter alone has 1067 kj which equates to around 255 calories.

So with that in mind on this Good Friday, if you're keeping an eye on your figure and have the resources available to you, then it might be better to bake your own fish and chips.

Scrap the batter on the fish completely and cut up your own potatoes, spray with a little oil and bake them instead.  According to Amanda, oven chips come in at around 820 kj per 100grams (196 calories).

Hmmm.

This does not help my vision of take away fish n chips on the beach.  But perhaps if I ditch the chips, grab a salad and remove the batter I'll be doing OK.

Let's not take bets on whether or not I'll actually stick to that.

Do you eat fish on Good Friday?

Are you a fan of fish n chips?

What's your best fish n chips tip? 




Note: I am not a nutritionist nor am I a foodie. Nor have I thoroughly researched this other than a quick read of a magazine and a wander around Google. Always do your own research when it comes to your health and fitness.   

Related Posts

Day 2738 - How to save calories with your fish and chips
4/ 5
Oleh