Apr 15, 2017

Day 2739 - Breaking News for fibromyalgia sufferers

Apparently my pain may be coming from the blood vessels in my feet!


As you are aware I have fibromyalgia.  That means I have pain through my body, I get brain fog, I have irritable everything and for a long time I suffered chronic fatigue.

I went into a lot of detail about it in this post.


Although Fibromyalgia may have been around  since the early 1820’s (called muscular rheumatism at that time), the syndrome was officially recognised in 1990 by the American College of Rheumatology. 

For a long time it has been thought that fibromyalgia was serotonin or neurophysiologically based. That it was closely related to depression and chronic fatigue syndrome.

Then there were thoughts about its relationship to arthritis.  I've also read about its link to the central nervous system.

There are people and doctors that think fibromyalgia is all in the patient's head.  That their symptoms are signs of aging and that they must simply have low pain thresholds.

Even I have questioned my diagnosis and keep trying to find answers elsewhere.  I've been tested and retested for MS, and as recently as last year I had whole body scans in case I was actually riddled with arthritis or bone cancer.

The weather has an impact on fibromyalgia. I've known for a long time that the cold weather does me no favours.  The pain increases in winter and on low pressure system days (cloudy and rain) I can be so deep in the fibro fog that I dare not drive because I feel completely dazed.

Something I've also noticed in more recent years is that my feet have become very sensitive. Something as small as dropping a pen on my foot will have me dancing in distress.   Kicking the shopping trolley in open toed shoes renders me immobile in mouth gaping horror. Even having the dog stand on my foot in his "is it dinner time?" excitement causes me to wince.

The foot thing had me thinking that it must also be another symptom of fibro.  So when I came across this article with research suggesting the secret to fibro may be found in the blood vessels in our hands, feet and legs, it all made total sense!

Click article to read more

A few years ago researchers announced they'd examined skin on the hands of fibromyalgia sufferers and compared it against the skin of a person who lacked sensory nerve fibres.  They were surprised to find that fibro patients have an extremely excessive amount of arteriole-venule (AV).

It was previously believed that the AV shunts were only responsible for regulating blood flow but they've since discovered that these nerves are linked to the widespread body pain that fibromyalgia sufferers experience.

According to Neuroscientist, Dr Frank L Rice, "This mismanaged blood flow could be the source of muscular pain and achiness, and the sense of fatigue ..."

So while there is no cure yet, these findings have the potential to assist with treatment and the quest for a cure.

I'll be keeping my overly sensitive fingers and toes crossed!




Information sources:  www.ushealthylife.com; www.chronicpainreliefoptions.com; www.naturalhealingmagazine.com; www.guardianlv.com 




Related Posts

Day 2739 - Breaking News for fibromyalgia sufferers
4/ 5
Oleh