Jan 27, 2015

Is Giving Flowers in Your DNA?

I live about 9 miles from our flower farm. On the temperate California coast, winter is cloudy and rainy, and we only get a couple hard freezes a year. Even though I miss the snow, having grown up in Rhode Island, it's nice let the kids out into the front yard on a sunny day in January, with just a light weight coat.

Perfect Valentine's Day Flowers
#AmericanGrown tulips are the perfect Valentine's Day present!
I have a 15 month year old son, who is really the reason behind this post. Last week, he performed an act that really got me thinking.

My yard has few spots of clover pushing through the green grass. The clover was blooming in patches of little white flowers. I was sitting on the front steps, enjoying the sun and the peace of the neighborhood on a late afternoon.

My 15 month old boy, walked (barely!) over to the clover, sat down, looked at the flowers intently, then reached, picked one.

He held it in his hand as he laboriously stood back up, gained his balance, then walked straight to me, then held out the flower as an offering, along with a smile highlighting his 7 teeth.

As I accepted the flower, the purity of this action struck me. Flower giving is not learned, it is not dictated by marketers and ad campaigns, flower giving is as intuitive as walking or eating. Flower giving is a natural act that human beings are hard wired to perform.

As Valentine's Day approaches, don't fight it, giving flowers is in your DNA.
tulip blog



Related Posts

Is Giving Flowers in Your DNA?
4/ 5
Oleh