Jun 17, 2014

Grower’s Choice: Cotinus

This week we feature a guest post by Sales Assist extraordinaire, Robin Baker.


Route 299 on the way to Willow Creek.
Last week, I got to trade in my office wear for boots and head out to the mountains to visit our Willow Creek farm. Lucky for me, I was given a tour by our head grower, Tim Crockenberg, who oversees all of the operations for our Arcata and Willow Creek farms. During our drive to Willow Creek, I had a hard time keeping notes because I was so awed by the gorgeous landscapes that unfolded before us at each new turn. Our conversations went something like this:

“So, Tim, how long does it take for the Ilex to be ready to pick?”

“Well, each plant…”

“Whoa, that’s pretty! Wow, look at the river! Oh, is that an eagle?! Oh, sorry, you were saying?”

I did manage to get some expert insight on our Willow Creek crops but I wanted to know what Tim’s favorite of was. Without a moment of pause Tim declared, “cotinus!”

Cotinus fields.
Okay, as a sales assistant, I sold cotinus last year and while I find it a nice touch to fall bouquets, I wondered what would make this crop so special in the field. As Tim and I walked toward the field, we reached a hill top where I had that question immediately answered. The deep burgundy cotinus stood out amidst a world of green.

We slowly walked down the hill toward the rosehips, pausing often so I could ask questions and snap pictures until we reached the edge of the cotinus field which sits directly beside the rosehips. Just then, the wind picked up and the cotinus revealed the silvery undersides of their leaves.

Yes, I could certainly see the appeal of this plant.



And a plus for Tim? Cotinus is a tough plant that isn’t susceptible to pests and requires no fertilizer. Resilient, beautiful, unique, and musical. The sound of the leaves of the cotinus plants brushing against one another still echoes in my mind.

When I returned to the office the next week, I had a new appreciation for this burgundy colored beauty. I wish I could send you enough cotinus to make you feel as though you’re standing with me in the field. And toward the end of the summer, when the cotinus reaches six feet, maybe I can. Until then, stock up on our 24”-36” cotinus as an excellent compliment to summer and fall bouquets.

Robin is outstanding in her field.

Related Posts

Grower’s Choice: Cotinus
4/ 5
Oleh